Fred Lassen Print Page Print this page

The headstone over the grave commemorates Fred Lassen (1856-1905), Postmaster of Pyrmont for 24 years. The headstone was erected by the citizens of Pyrmont.

On Saturday afternoon, in the Church of England portion of the Rookwood Cemetery, a memorial was unveiled to the memory of the late Mr. Fred. Lassen. The deceased gentleman had been for 24 years postmaster at Pyrmont, and during time had made many friends, both in business and social circles, and after Mr. Lassen's remains had been laid to rest, his numerous friends expressed a hope that they would be allowed to perpetuate his memory. Consequently, the memorial took the form of a beautiful headstone, appropriately inscribed, the grave being surrounded by a dwarf iron railing on stone. On the memorial stone, following the usual inscription were the words, "From the citizens of Pyrmont"; and on the bed of the grave, which was neatly inlaid with white marble chips, "At rest" in dark marble, was let in the centre.

The unveiling ceremony was performed by the Lord- Mayor of Sydney (Alderman Allen Taylor), in the presence of a large number of visitors from Pyrmont and Parramatta. The Lord Mayor, in the course of a touching address, spoke of the many excellent qualities possessed by their departed friend. Besides being a good husband and father, he was beloved, by all who came in his way ; he was a faithful friend; and the Postal Department had lost a loyal, valued and efficient officer. The deceased gentleman was well known in Parramatta, having spent the earlier years of his service in the Post and Telegraph Department in the Parramatta office.
The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta, NSW), 7 March 1906. 



Address:Hawthorne Avenue, Church of England Section, Rookwood Necropolis, Rookwood, 2141
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.874722
Long: 151.058333
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Grave
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - State


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 3rd March, 1906
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au