William Small JuniorPrint Page Print this page

22-July-2021 (Sandra Brown)
22-July-2021 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by John Johnston / Sandra Brown

The monument was originally erected as a fountain to commemorate William Small Junior, former Grafton Town Clerk from 1892 to 1902. The fountain is no longer functioning. 

William Small Junior was born on the family property at Swan Creek in 1861, the son of Clarence River pioneers who were among the first to take up land in the district. He was appointed Grafton Council Clerk on May 2nd 1892, a position he held with great distinction until the demands of business interests forced him to relinquish the post in July 1902.

For over 20 years, he conducted one of the leading auctioneering businesses on the Clarence River. He was a familiar figure at the South Grafton Saleyards and well-known throughout the Northern Rivers area, New England Tablelands and Queensland where he sold farms and grazing properties. He died in 1910 at the age of 49, survived by his wife Emma and five children.

Following his death a memorial to perpetuate his memory was built by public subscription and erected at the intersection of Skinner and Spring Streets, South Grafton.  It has since been relocated to the adjacent roundabout at the intersection of Skinner and Ryan Streets, South Grafton.

The monument erected to the late Mr. William Small, jun., by his friends, will be unveiled by the Mayor of South Grafton today. The Mayor of Grafton will also be present and takes part in the proceedings. The monument is in the centre of the intersection of Spring and Skinner streets, South Grafton, possibly the most prominent position in the town. The Memorial is of artistic design on a basement of stone six feet square rising to a height of ten feet. The pedestal to the height of 4ft is octagonal in form, moulded all round. In the centre of two panels, marble tablets are inlaid on either side, bearing the inscription, "Erected by the friends of the late William Small, Jun., to show their appreciation of his worth. Died 28th October, 1910." Photographs of the deceased are also inlet into the side panels.
Three taps connected with the water supply that is to be, are fitted at the top of the pedestal and cavities or basins cut into the stone receive the waters from these taps. A round column forms the upper portion set on a rich moulded base, terminating with a carved square cap. A handsome lamp projects above the stonework at present be lit with oil; provision is made for lighting with gas when illuminated when installed. The memorial which is of pyrmont freestone, was designed and erected by Messrs. Matheson and Collins, monumental masons, and this city who have executed the order very creditably. The finishing touches were being made yesterday, and the unveiling ceremony takes place at 11a.m. today. 
Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW), 17 May 1913.



Address:Skinner & Ryan Streets, South Grafton, 2460
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.705158
Long: 152.933381
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local
Designer:Matheson & Collins (Grafton, NSW)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th May, 1913
Front Inscription

Erected by the friends of the late William Small Junr.

To show their appreciation of his worth

Died 28th Oct. 1910.

Back Inscription

Erected by the friends of the late William Small Junr.

To show their appreciation of his worth

Died 28th Oct. 1910.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au