William J. WisemanPrint Page Print this page

The drinking fountain was erected as a mark of appreciation for his services to the community of William J. Wiseman.  It was originally located in Stuart Park Wollongong. Wiseman Park was named in his honour and opened on the 21st November 1925. 

William J Wiseman was an alderman of the Wollongong Municipal Council for a period of 50 years and served as Mayor for 5 terms. He was also prominent in the community being a trustee of the District Hospital and Stuart Park, a member of the Harbour Board and active in the Methodist Church. He died in 1922 at the age of 80. 

On Wednesday the elements were decidedly against the unveiling ceremony of the drinking fountain dedicated to Mr. W. J. Wiseman for the good work he has done for Wollongong and the district during a public career of 50 years. Not withstanding this big drawback, for the rain fell heavily, quite a large number of representative gentlemen, amongst the assemblage being a number of ladies, found their way, to the pretty surroundings of Stuart Park, and took part in the ceremony. The unveiling and presentation was made by the Deputy Mayor (Ald. J. Kirby). A statement was read by the secretary, and treasurer to the movement, Mr. J . A. Beatson. 

Speeches were made by the Hon. W. Robson, M.L.C., the Mayor Elect of Wollongong, Ald. J. A., Mayo, Ald. W. Lance and others. 
Illawarra Mercury (Wollongong, NSW),  22 February 1918.

The recreation ground acquired several years ago from the proprietors of the Mt. Keira colliery estate at Gwynneville was the scene on Saturday afternoon of a local gathering to celebrate the making of a sports ground. The park has until the last 18 months had practically no attention since, chiefly by the agitation of the late Alderman Wiseman it was acquired.

The mayor, Alderman Smith, was asked to declare the park open. The park was acquired 15 or 16 years ago; exception was then taken to what was considered to be a far sighted policy, but, he was pleased to say, wiser counsels prevailed. Today they saw the value of it in providing such a breathing space for such a rapidly growing part of the municipality. As they knew, the name was given to commemorate the late W. J. Wiseman, who for 50 years was an Alderman of Wollongong. They would realize what an amount of time he had given to the people; they did well to honor men who so continuously were prepared to give their services to the public.
South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus (NSW),  
27 November 1925.


Address:Gipps Road & Vickery Street, Wiseman Park, Gwynneville, 2500
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.416559
Long: 150.883169
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 20th February, 1918
Front Inscription

Erected By His Fellow Citizens As A Mark Of Appreciation Of The Valuable Public Service Given To The Town And District  During A Period Of 50 years By Mr William J. Wiseman JP

20 February 1918.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au