www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles CanePrint Page Print this page

05-July-2021
05-July-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Charles Cane Reserve commemorates Charles Cane (1884 - 1956) who served as Clerk, District Clerk and Town Clerk for the Prospect Council from 1899 to 1950. The reserve is also known by its indigenous name "Parndo Yerta." 

 

Location

Address:104 Churchill Road, Charles Cane Reserve, Prospect, 5082
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.888643
Long: 138.584982
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local
Approx. Event Start Date:1899
Approx. Event End Date:1950

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1940
Front Inscription

Charles Cane Reserve

Plaque :

Parndo Yerta
The Charles Cane Reserve

The Adelaide Plains of South Australia are home to the Kaurna Aboriginal people.  The Kaurna lived on this land for many thousands of years and are the original custodians of the land on which this recreational reserve is located.

In 1940 the City of Prospect purchased this land for recreation and sport and named it honour of Charles Cane (1884 - 1956).  The dedicated Charles Cane served as Clerk, District Clerk & Town Clerk for Prospect Council from 1899 to 1950.

In February 2005 the City of Prospect as part of its commitment to the reconcilliation process requested a Kaurna name for the reserve.  The name given by the Kaurna was "Parndo" meaning ball made form possum skin and "Yerta" meaning earth.

This plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of the City of Prospect Kristina Barnett with Kaurna Elder Uncle Lewis Yerloburka O`Brien on 29 Nay 2005.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design