www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Jack CarrollPrint Page Print this page

25-April-2018
25-April-2018
Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque on the Patrick Leahy obelisk commemorates Jack Carroll who was an alderman on the council from 1915 to 1917, and from 1932 to 1937.  He was the Mayor in 1934.

Dalton (Jack) Carroll served two terms as an Alderman and was Mayor in 1934.  Jack was a foundation member of the Balmoral Beach Club and became its first club captain. Jack also had a life long interest in the history of the Mosman and in 1955 wrote the history of the suburb and he is remembered by ‘Carroll’s Lookout’ at the foot of Edwards Bay Road, adjoining where he lived, named by Mosman Council in his honour. His legacy is evident in his historical papers, publications and photographs, featured largely at Mosman and Mitchell libraries as well as the historical mast of H.M.A.S Sydney erected at Bradley’s Head during his time as Mayor. Throughout his life, Jack was tirelessly assisted by his wife, Eileen, who herself spent considerable time supporting and furthering the cause of many charities.

 

Location

Address:Myaghah Road , Civic Square, Mosman, 2088
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.824925
Long: 151.241177
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1971
Front Inscription

In Memory Of
`JACK` CARROLL
Mosman historian
Alderman 1915 - 17, 1932 - 37
Mayor 1934
1971

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design