www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles BudgePrint Page Print this page

25-March-2021
25-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The garden and date palm trees commemorate Charles Budge M.B.E. who was the Town Clerk and District Clerk from 1891 to 1941. 

He was a member of the Primary School Board of Advice for 30 years (15 years as Chairman), and was instrumental in the establishment of the first high school in James Street in 1907 (Chairman of High School Council 1930 - 40). He was a founding member of the Ornamental Committee that planned `Tresylva Park` and `Ewart Oval` (both of which were named by him), and he helped establish the first Lawns Bowls Club in Gladstone becoming its first President in 1933.

A prominent contribution was his involvement in proceedings for the broad gauge rail in 1927 from Blyth to Gladstone to enable train travel direct to Adelaide. Mr Budge also served as Town Mayor, Justice of the Peace, Clerk of the Local Court and Local Court Insolvency and Retuning Officer for elections (local - 27 years, State - 14 years).  

Gladstone, June 1. About 400 people attended the unveiling by the Speaker (Sir Robert Nicholls) of a rock cairn and plaque in the main street this morning, erected by the Gladstone District Council in memory of the late Charles Budge, MBE, who was one of Gladstone's leading citizens for half a century.
Advertiser (Adelaide, SA ), 2 June 1951.

Location

Address:Gladstone Street, Gladstone, 5473
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.26809
Long: 138.356859
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local
Approx. Event Start Date:1891
Approx. Event End Date:1941

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 1st June, 1951
Front Inscription

This garden strip was dedicated to perpetuate the memory of Charles Budge M. B. E.

Town Clerk, January 1891 to December 1899 and again from February 1905 to May 1933
District Clerk, July 1893 to October 1941

Erected by the residents of the town and District of Gladstone

Right Side Inscription

Date Palm Grove

This grove was established in 1932 in recognition of the contribution made to the community by Charles Budge MBE 1861 - 1947.  Born in Plymouth, England, he came to South Australia with his wife in 1883.

Teaching, in several schools, he settled in Gladstone where he was appointed Town Clerk of the Corporation of Gladstone in 1890, a position he held for 35 years.  In 1928 he was offered Clerk of the District Council (held until 1941).

As a member of the Primary School Board of Advice for 30 years (15 years as Chairman), he was instrumental in the establishment of the first high school in James Street in 1907 (Chairman of High School Council 1930 - 40).

He was a founding member of the Ornamental Committee that planned `Tresylva Park` and `Ewart Oval` (both of which were named by him), and he helped establish the first Lawns Bowls Club in Gladstone becoming its first President in 1933.

A prominent contribution was his involvement in proceedings for the broad gauge rail in 1927 from Blyth to Gladstone to enable train travel direct to Adelaide.

Mr Budge also served as Town Mayor, Justice of the Peace, Clerk of the Local Court and Local Court Insolvency and Retuning Officer for elections (local - 27 years, State - 14 years).  He was awarded the MBE in 1941 for services rendered to state and local communities.

As a member of the Methodist Congregation, he was Superintendent of Sunday School (21 years), and served longer periods as local preacher and choir-master.  He also became first Master of both Masonic and Mark Lodges.  

Regionally, he was made a life member of the Northern Areas Football Association (President 1911 - 1932)

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design