www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain James StirlingPrint Page Print this page

25-February-2021
25-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Chris Abbott

The gates commemorate the first Governor of Western Australia, Captain James Stirling. The gates were unveiled in 1929, the centenary of Western Australia. Stirling Reserve was named in his honour. 

Captain James Stirling (28 January 1791 - 22 April 1865) was a British naval officer and colonial administrator. His enthusiasm and persistence persuaded the British Government to establish the Swan River Colony and he became the first Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Western Australia.  He landed on Garden Island in 1827 and returned in June, 1829 to found not only the first European settlement in Western Australia, but also the first free colony anywhere in Australia. 

He is chiefly remembered for his exploration of the Swan River, followed by his eventual success in lobbying the British Government to establish a settlement there. On 30 December 1828, he was made Lieutenant-Governor of the colony-to-be. He formally founded the city of Perth and the port of Fremantle and oversaw the development of the surrounding area and on 4 March 1831 he was confirmed as Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the new territory, Western Australia, in which post he remained until in 1838 he resumed his naval career.

Captain James Stirling took up land nearby in 1829 on the Swan River,and he named his property ‘Woodbridge’.

Guildford.

The principal activity at Guildford will be the erection of wrought iron gates at the entrance to Stirling Square, a reserve named, after the first Governor of the State. The design of the gates was prepared by the Town Clerk of Guildford (Mr. L. Gibbons), under whose direction they will be erected. The tender for their supply has been let to Messrs. Bradshaw and Beasley for £68. They will be supported by pillars of Cottesloe stone. The gates will be dedicated by the Governor (Sir William Campion) probably on September 21.
‘The West Australian’ Thursday 30th May 1929.

Memorial Gates  Guildford Ceremony

This afternoon Guildford celebrated the centenary of the State by unveiling memorial gates at Stirling Square to Captain James Stirling, the first Governor.  The function had particular significance as Governor Stirling first settled at Guildford, and it was he who dedicated Stirling Square to the residents.  It was first cleared in the early 70's, by convict labor, and at various times was used for agricultural purposes, the settlers being permitted to graze their cattle on it, or, on certain days, help themselves to the crops.

The gates, which are the design of the town clerk (Mr. L. Gibbons) are made from wrought iron, mounted on limestone pillars, and are placed on the Meadow Street entrance to the square,  immediately opposite the post office. On each pillar is a bronze tablet. One bears the inscription of dedication, while the other contains the name of the mayor (Mr. R. Calder Crowther) together with those of the councillors and town clerk.

The ceremony was performed by the Governor (Sir William Campion), who was met by a guard of honor drawn from the 28th Battalion "A" Company, who are all residents of the district between Bayswater and Midland Junction.  A military band was also in attendance, and a choir of 60 school children sang songs appropriate to the occasion. The Governor was received by the mayor, who welcomed him in a happy speech, after which the dedicaction ceremony was performed.

Mr. W. D. Johnson, M.L.A., member for the district, moved a vote of thanks.  After the function the visitors were entertained by the Guildford Municipal Council.  
‘The Daily News’ Saturday 21st September 1929.

 

 

Location

Address:Stirling & Meadow Streets, Stirling Square, Guildford, 6055
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.898606
Long: 115.971345
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Designer:L. Gibbons (Guildford, WA)
Monument Manufacturer:Bradshaw & Beasley
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th September, 1929
Left Side Inscription

Centenary of Western Australia
1929         

Dedicated by His Excellency the Governor Col. Sir Wm. Campion K.C.M.G. D.S.O. on 21. 9. 29

To the memory of Captain James Stirling R. N. Lieut. Governor 1829 then resident in this District

 

Right Side Inscription

Stirling Memorial

Erected by 
R. Calder - Crowther J. P.   C. R. B. Devenish
Mayor                                  Treasurer

Councillors
W. A. Billing         J. S. Milne
T. Carrick             J. A. Ougden
A. H. Kingsbury   S. C. Russell Smith
L. C. Longson      W. J. Westlake J. P. 

L. Gibbons  Town Clerk

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design