William RamsbottomPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
A plaque commemorates William Ramsbottom who was the first superintendent of the salmon ponds from April 1864 to August 1868.

As long ago as 1852 Tasmania arranged for the import of trout ova from Scotland by the ship Columbus. The experiment, which cost £300, was a complete failure, but it led to the realisation that the temperature in the tank container would have to be regulated by the use of ice. Experiments in a London company's ice vaults subsequently established that the incubation of fish ova could be retarded long enough to enable them to be transported to Australia. These experiments were undertaken at the instance of William Ramsbottom, sent to England by the Tasmanian Salmon Commissioners with the support of the Governor of Tasmania, Colonel Thomas Gore Brown. As a result Money Wigram and Sons, in January, 1864, gave 50 tons of space free of cost, and 100,000 salmon and trout ova were obtained from Wales and the North.

As the ova was late in reaching London, the shipping company held up the Norfolk for a whole day for its ''precious and novel burden towards the ultimate fate of which the attention of the whole scientific world was anxiously directed." After a quick passage of 84 days, Hobson's Bay was reached on April 15. Here the Government of Victoria held their steamer in readiness to convey the ova to Hobart Town. To the joy of all concerned, when the boxes of ova packed in moss were opened by Mr. Ramsbottom, a large portion was found to be alive and healthy. Eleven boxes were retained at Melbourne and the remainder reached the Derwent River at 3 p.m. on April 20. Here they were transferred to a barge towed by the steamer Emu up the river to New Norfolk. May 4, 1864, is a day that should besacred to every trout enthusiast in Australia, for it was on that day the first Australian trout made its appearance, followed on the succeeding day by the first salmon ever seen south of the equator.
Advocate (Burnie, Tas), 16th July 1935.


Address:70 Salmon Ponds Road, Salmon Ponds Heritage Hatchery & Gardens, Plenty, 7140
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.754569
Long: 146.969306
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Actual Event Start Date:21-April-1864
Actual Event End Date:22-August-1868


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th September, 1976
Front Inscription

           To Honour
Of Clitheroe, Lancashire
Born 8.2.1833  Died 22.8.1868
First Superintendent Of These Ponds
21.4.1864  -  22.8.1868
Into Whose Charge & Care Were Entrusted The Salmon &
Trout Ova During The Voyage Of The "Norfolk" In 1864.
          Unveiled By
The Minister For Agriculture & Lands
Presented By Alan Walker

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design