Matthew FlindersPrint Page Print this page

Matthew Flinders
Matthew Flinders

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The monument commemorates Matthew Flinders who surveyed the coast and named Baudin Rocks in 1802.

A memorial to Matthew Flinders was unveiled at Robe by Mr. C. C. Deland, of the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia, on October 30. Introduced by Mr. H. D. Flint, Chairman of the District Council, Mr. Deland described the work of the Royal Geographical Society and said this was one of a number of similar memorials to Matthew Flinders along the coast.  They were the result of £750 over subscription by the public for the main memorial.

Mr. K. Rudd, headmaster of Robe School, outlined the work of Flinders, who mapped the coastline of South Australia. The monument of grey granite forms a seat on the Royal Circus beside the flagstaff and points to Baudin Island, last place named by Flinders in South Australia.
Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA), 13 November 1948.


Address:Royal Circus, Robe, 5276
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.162291
Long: 139.75313
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:13-April-1802
Actual Event End Date:13-April-1802


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 2nd October, 1948
Front Inscription

Matthew Flinders R.N.
(1774 - 1814)

Commander of H. M. Sloop "Investigator" when surveying the south coast of Australia named Baudin Rocks on 13 April 1802 to honour the commander of the French xxpedition.

This was the last place - name applied by Flinders in South Australia.

Unveiled 2nd October 1948

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design