Matthew FlindersPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The obelisk commemorates Matthew Flinders.  It was erected by his nephew Sir John Franklin, who was a midshipman in Investigator when Flinders discovered Port Lincoln in 1802. 

The builder was Samuel Lewis who also built Light`s monument. The building stone was brought from Tasmania and a team of bullocks and sledge were used to haul the materials to the site. The obelisk was restored and faced with marble in 1867.  The original marble inscription is now in the Adelaide Museum.  The bronze plate on the obelisk was unveiled in 1934.

On March 8 the Governor will unveil a bronze plate in the obelisk at the top of Stamford Hill. It was from there that Matthew Flinders made the first survey of Port Lincoln Harbour.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 23 February 1934.



Address:Stamford Hill Road, Stamford Hill, Lincoln National Park, 5607
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.776173
Long: 135.935325
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Monument Manufacturer:Samuel Lewis


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1844
Front Inscription

This place from which the gulf and its shores were first surveyed on 26. Feb. 1802 by Matthew Flinders, R. N.  Commander of H.M.S. Investigator

The discoverer of the country now called South Australia was set apart on 12. Jan. 1841 with the sanction of  Lt. Col. Gawler, K.H. then Governor of the Colony and in the first year of the Government of Capt. G. Grey, adorned with this monument to the perpetual memory of the illustrious navigator his honored Commander by  John Franklin, Capt. R. N.  K.C.H. K.R. Lt.  Governor of Van Diemen`s Land.

Original marble tablet in S.A. Museum.

This plate, publicly subscribed, was unveiled by Sir Alexr Hore-Ruthven, V.C., K.C.M.G. C.B. D.S.O.  Governor of S.A.

8 March 1934

Source: MA,SAM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design