Lieutenant John MurrayPrint Page Print this page

18-April-2019 (John Huth)
18-April-2019 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / John Huth

A cairn commemorates Lieutenant John Murray of the ship Lady Nelson who named Arthur`s Seat. The cairn was unveiled during the opening of the Arthurs Seat Road in 1929. 

Arthur's Seat Road, Dromana, was officially opened by the Governor on Saturday afternoon before an assemblage of about 1000 persons. The weather was most disappointing, particularly to the organising committee, as elaborate preparations had been made in anticipation a record attendance, and all that was needed was bright sunshine to crown the great work which had been carried out in opening up the scenic tourist road for the people of Victoria. A tribute to the forethought of the leaders in erecting memorial cairns on the various points of vantage on the road to the summit of the mount was made by Lord Somers.

The first cairn was to commemorate Chief Officer Bowen, the first white man to enter Port Phillip on 4th February, 1802, donated by Mr. J.H. King; Franklin Point, to commemorate the visit of Sir John Franklin, who visited the mount with his kinsman, Matthew Flinders, in 1802, and returned in 1844, donated by Cr. A. V. Shaw; Murray's Lookout, to commemorate Lieutenant John Murray, who named the mountain Arthur's Seat from its resemblance to the mountains of the same name near Edinburgh, donated by Mr. L. Carrigg; Chapman's Point, in honor of a pioneer family, donated by Mr. and Mrs. G. R. Dyson. These tablets were of Dromana granite, beautifully polished and inscribed by H. B. Corben and Sons.
Excerpt from the Age (Melbourne), 16 December 1929.


Address:Arthurs Seat Road, Murrays Lookout, Arthurs Seat , 3936
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.351217
Long: 144.948758
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:15-February-1802
Actual Event End Date:15-February-1802
Monument Manufacturer:H. B. Corben & Sons (Clifton Hill, VIC)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th December, 1929
Front Inscription

Murrays`s Look-Out 

To commemorate Lieut John Murray who named this mountain Arthur`s Seat on 15th February 1802

Presented by L. Carrigg, Esq.

14 / 12 / 1929

Source: MA,VMR, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design