www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain James CookPrint Page Print this page

14-November-2014 (Sandra Brown)
14-November-2014 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Sandra Brown / Paul Scott

The sculpture commemorating Captain James Cook was instigated by John Emery, a Bendigo merchant who left £1000 in his will for its erection.

Captain James Cook claimed the whole of the east coast of Australia for Great Britain on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia, 'New South Wales.'

The bronze cast of Captain Cook, which was executed in London by the young Bendigo sculptor, Mr John Walker, under commission from the executors in the Emery Estate, has arrived in Bendigo, and the contractor for its erection Mr. J.Robinson, of Melbourne, expects to have it in position by today. The cast will be mounted on a pedestal composed of Moorabool free stone obtained from Geelong.

Unfortunately the place chosen for the statue is not perhaps the best. It stands in the church grounds midway between St. Paul's church and Sunday School. This is in conformity with a stipulation made by the late Mr. Emery when bequeathing the sum of £500 towards the erection of a tribute to the memory of the famous navigator.  St. Paul's vestry will meet during the week to determine when the unveiling ceremony shall take place.
Bendigo Advertiser (Vic), 10 October 1906.

Location

Address:Myers Street, St Paul`s Church of England, Bendigo, 3550
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.762026
Long: 144.282802
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Artist:Mr John Walker

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1906
Front Inscription

Erected in 1906

In memory of Capt. James Cook,

The celebrated navigator 

By bequest of John Emery 
A Vestryman of St Paul`s Church 
Bendigo

Source: MA,MED,VMR,RHSV,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design