www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain Charles Sturt Print Page Print this page

05-August-2019 (Sandra Brown)
05-August-2019 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin / Sandra Brown

The cairn, unveiled in the centenary year of his exploration, marks the spot where Captain Charles Sturt crossed the Murrumbidgee River in 1829. 

In November 1829 Sturt used the Murrumbidgee River to cut across to the Lachlan River. On the banks of the Murrumbidgee, Sturt and his seven companions put together a boat they had brought with them from Sydney, and proceeded downstream. On January 14, 1830, they entered a wide new river which Sturt named the Murray, and a few days later they sighted another river flowing into it which Sturt excitedly and correctly assumed to be the Darling.

CELEBRATION AT GUNDAGAI.  The people of Gundagai and district have erected a cairn to the memory of Captain Charles Sturt who, in addition to explorations in other parts of Australia, became famous for his memorable trip down the Murrumbidgee River from its source to its junction with the Murray to its outlet to the sea. The cairn was unveiled on Saturday in the presence of over 60 people, in addition to the Gundagai troop of Light Horse and the Gundagai boy scouts and cubs. The memorial is situated between the traffic and railway bridges, on the camping ground, on the river bank. It is 12 feet bigh, built of rough stone and cement, and is an imposing, rugged monument. A tablet on the side of the cairn has the words inscribed: " Captain Charles Sturt, explorer, passed this spot on November 30, 1829." Councillor H. P. Carberry, president of Gundagai Shire, in unveiling the cairn, spoke at some length on the explorations by Sturt along the
Murrumbidgee River, and was able to quote from Sturt 's own records many interesting comments regarding the country. He also pointed out several landmarks visited by the great explorer along the river at Gundagai. He traced Captain Sturt's movements right from Gundagai, down the Murrumbidgee River to the Murray, and to the entry of that river into Lake Alexandrina. His speech was very interesting and was comprehensive in its wealth of detail. Mr. Hoad, M.L.A., who gave a speech, in which he detailed Sturt`s explorations in other parts of Australia, as well as along the Murrumbidgee and Murray Valleys.  His talk was in the nature of a discourse on Sturt 's life and work in various parts of Australia, and was much appreciated.
Daily Advertiser (Wagga Wagga, NSW ), 3 December 1929.

Location

Address:Middleton Street, Caravan Park, Gundagai, 2722
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.073611
Long: 148.106667
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event Start Date:30-November-1829
Actual Event End Date:30-November-1929

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 30th November, 1929
Front Inscription

Captain Charles Sturt
- Explorer -
Passed This Spot
November 30th 1829

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design