www.monumentaustralia.org.au

William LandsboroughPrint Page Print this page

The memorial commemorates the explorer William Landsborough (1825-1886). 

William Landsborough explored the Aramac district in 1859 in his first expedition. Discovering a creek, which flowed south-west into the Thomson River, he named it Aramac, after a former pastoralist, Robert Ramsay Mackenzie (hence 'R. R. Mack'), who was also Queensland's first colonial treasurer and  future Premier.

Landsborough explored and named Mount Nebo in 1856 and later leased blocks in the area. He explored around Broad Sound in 1857, the Comet and Nogoa Rivers in 1858 and with Stewart examined the Bonar (Bowen) River in 1859. They reached Torrens Creek and looked carefully for traces of Ludwig Leichhardt. From Rockhampton he then went with Nat Buchanan in search of new pastures, and traced Aramac Creek and the Thomson River. Their food ran out but they found good country. In 1861 Landsborough applied for 15 runs of 100 sq. miles (259 km²) each and with Buchanan and Edward Cornish formed the Landsborough River Co. to stock the new 'Plains of Promise', which he named Bowen Downs. 

Location

Address:Barcaldine-Aramac Road, Aramac, 4726
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -22.978787
Long: 145.24247
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Front Inscription

William Landsborough Marked A
Coolabah Tree At The End Of This 
Waterhole With "L 1860" And
Named The Creek Aramack Creek
The Town Initially Went Under The 
Name Of Marathon But Was 
Changed To Aramac In 1875
 

 

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design