Charles SturtPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graham Peters

The cairn commemorates the centenary of the voyage of Charles Sturt down the Murray River. Sturt passed Point McLeay in February 1830.

His Excellency Sir Alexander Hore Ruthven, V.C. (Governor) will unveil a memorial cairn to Capt. Charles Sturt, the noted explorer, at Point McLeay, tomorrow week. The memorial was erected by aborigines at Point McLeay under the supervision of Mr. W. T. Lawrie (school master).

The movement was sponsored by the historical memorials committee of the South Australian branch of the Royal Geographical Society of AustraIasia. A meeting of the committee will be held at 4 o'clock this afternoon to complete arrangements for the ceremony. Lady Hore Ruthven will be present. Part of the ceremony will be a demonstration by the aborigines.

Dr. C. E. Fenher, who with Mr. F. L. Parker is honorary secretary, of the society, stated today that Sturt had written in his journal that without the help of the aborigines he would not have been able to accomplish the feat of sailing down the River Murray in 1830. They had helped the party to obtain food supplies. At the junction of the Darling and the Murray the expedition was surrounded by hundreds of hostile natives. They were saved by the arrival of a friendly aborigine. A legend is told at Point McLeay of a pelican coming down the river into the lake. As it came nearer it turned into a boat containing white men. It was in the early morning of February 10, 1830, that Sturt passed Point McLeay. He did not land there.  The point was named after George (afterward Sir George) McLeay, who was second in command.
News (Adelaide), 10 October 1930.

Note:  Point McLeay was renamed Raukkan Aboriginal Community in 1982.


Address:Uniapon Street, Raukkan Aboriginal Community, 5259
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.505943
Long: 139.131516
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:10-February-1830
Actual Event End Date:10-February-1830


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th October, 1930
Front Inscription

Erected By Descendants Of
The Lower Murray Tribes 1930

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design