Home » Themes » People » Exploration
Ludwig LeichhardtPrint Page
The monument commemorates the 200th anniversary of the birth of Ludwig Leichhardt (1813 - 1848), the German explorer and naturalist, most famous for his exploration of northern and central Australia. It also lists the members of his expedition.
Leichhardt and members of his expedition disappeared in 1848.
In 1848 Leichhardt set out from the Condamine River to reach the Swan River. The expedition consisted of Leichhardt, four Europeans, two Aboriginal guides, seven horses, 20 mules and 50 bullocks. The Europeans were Adolph Classen, Arthur Hentig, Donald Stuart and Thomas Hands, a ticket of leave holder holder who replaced Kelly at Henry Stuart Russell`s Cecil Plains station. The Aboriginal guides were Wommai and Billy Bombat, from Port Stephens.
The party was last seen on 3 April 1848 at Allan Macpherson's station, Cogoon, on the Darling Downs. Leichhardt's disappearance after moving inland, although investigated by many, remains a mystery. The expedition had been expected to take two to three years, but after no sign or word was received from Leichhardt it was assumed that he and the others in the party had died. The latest evidence suggests that they may have perished somewhere in the Great Sandy Desert of the Australian interior.
Location
Address: | Warrego Highway, Muckadilla Community Park, Muckadilla, 4461 |
---|---|
State: | QLD |
Area: | AUS |
GPS Coordinates: | Lat: -26.585006 Long: 148.385431 Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate. |
Details
Monument Type: | Monument |
---|---|
Monument Theme: | People |
Sub-Theme: | Exploration |
Link: | http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli… |
Dedication
Approx. Monument Dedication Date: | April-2014 |
---|
This plaque was kindly donated by Maranoa Regional Council in commemoration of the 200th birthday anniversary of Ludwig Leichhardt
Leichhardt was born 23 October 1813 in Trebatsch, Prussia, now part of modern Germany. He arrived in Australia on February 1842 to pursue his interest in natural history and geology.
In December 1846, Leichhardt`s party set off from the Darling Downs, in an unsuccessful attempt to cross Australia from east to west, destination the Swan River in W.A. In 1848 he set off again from the Darling Downs with another party, intending to trace Major Mitchell`s 1846 route to the Barcoo River, and to seek his own course to the Swan River. Leichhardt arrived at a sheep-station on Macpherson`s Mt. Abundance Run, 10 km south of this monument. His letter from the station in April 1848 was the last communication between Leichhardt and the outside world. His fate is unknown.
The 1848 Exploration Party, formed to cross Australia, east to west consisted of eight persons : -
Ludwig Leichhardt
August Classan Arthur Hentig
Flash Billy Wommai
Donald Stewart ? Kelly
Thomas Hands
This plaque was proudly donated by the Roma Tourism Association Inc
April 2014