Constable Miles O`Grady Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Ian Bevege

The monument commemorates Constable Miles O`Grady, who, while suffering from severe illness, attacked four armed bushrangers and lost his life in the encounter.

When Nerrigundah was raided by the Clarke gang in 1866, it was a goldmining town with a population of 1200. Before entering Nerrigundah the gang had held up travellers to and from the town, keeping their victims as prisoners. On April 9th they held up Wallis` Hotel in Nerrigundah, bailed up people passing in the street, and attempted to rob Pollock`s store. They failed in this last task because Mrs Pollock threw the keys into the street. Once notified of the disturbance, the two constables of the station, Troopers Smith and O`Grady, the latter rising from his sickbed with a fever, went to Wallis Hotel.

They fired two shots, killing one of the bushrangers. The policemen withdrew into the street where the other bushrangers, responding to the shots, had arrived. O`Grady was shot and died almost immediately. The Clarke gang then rode out of town to be pursued by a posse of twelve men. An ambush was prepared at the Eucumbene River but the only victim was a pack horse. They were eventually arrested near their favourite hideout, the Jingera Ranges.

CONSTABLE O'GRADY'S MONUMENT, The monument ordered by the Government to be erected at Nerrigundah to the memory of Constable O'Grady, is at length finished, and will be forwarded from the department of the Colonial Architect in a few days. The execution of the design was entrusted to Mr. W. Magill and his task has been accomplished in a manner that reflects credit on his skill, and on the judgment of those who employed him. The length of the monument from the base is thirteen foot six inches. The plinth is nine feet in diameter; on which rise two moulding pedestals, and the column, with a rich ornamental capital -the shamrock being intermingled with the scroll, and the whole terminating with the segment of a ball or globe. The monument will be surrounded by an iron palisade. On the column the inscription, by the Honorable James Martin, is neatly cut. 
Kiama Independent, and Shoalhaven Advertiser (NSW), 14 March 1867. 


Address:Gulph Creek Road, Nerrigundah, 2545
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.116697
Long: 149.899508
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:09-April-1866
Actual Event End Date:09-April-1866
Monument Manufacturer:Mr W. Magill


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:Circa 1867
Front Inscription

Erected by the Governor of New South Wales

In honor of Constable Miles O`Grady, who on the 9th April, 1866 while suffering from severe illness single handed attacked five armed bushrangers and lost his life in the encounter thus setting a noble example of bravery in the discharge of public duty.


Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design