Constable William Bryan CondonPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque was unveiled on the 50th anniversary of the death of Constable William Bryan Condon KPFSM who was killed in the execution of his duties in the vicinity on the 9th June 1952. The plaque is located in the footpath. 

The Katherine Police Social Club is named in honour of Bill Condon. Each year National Police Remembrance Day in Katherine is commemorated at the graveside of the fallen policeman.

Bill Condon joined the Northern Territory Police on 18 January 1949 and served in Darwin and Maranboy. Constable Condon, stationed at Maranboy, was in Katherine to help the local police with the crowds at the race meeting. On the evening of 9 June 1952 Condon was dining with his wife in the Katherine Hotel when they heard of a man who had gone berserk with a rifle in the nearby street. Leaving his wife at the Hotel, Condon went and confronted Terence Stapleton, the armed man who shot the Constable twice: once in the stomach and when he fell again in the thigh. Constable Condon died a short time later. Terence Stapleton was later arrested by Constable Tom Hollow and sent to trial for the murder of Constable Condon. A jury found him guilty and he was sentenced to death: on appeal a new trial was ordered. On this occasion the jury could not come to a conclusion and following a third trial Stapleton was found guilty but insane. He was removed to the custody of Pentridge Gaol. Constable Condon was posthumously awarded the Queens Police and Fire Service Medal for Gallantry. He is buried in the Katherine Cemetery.


Address:Katherine Terrace (Stuart Highway), Katherine, 0850
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -14.464652
Long: 132.262461
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:09-June-1952


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th June, 2002
Front Inscription

Constable William Bryan Condon KPFSM
     Killed in the execution of 
his duty in this vicinity on 9 June 1952
           Unveiled by 
Commissioner Paul White APM
           9 June 2002

Northern Territory Police Museum & 
      Historical Society Inc. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au