Archibald WindeyerPrint Page Print this page

The sundial, erected in 1871 by the children and his friends of St John's School, commemorates Archibald Windeyer who died in 1870. 

Following the Second World War, it was repurposed with the placement of seven individual memorial plaques at the base to those from the church who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two.

Windeyer bought Kinross near Raymond Terrace, where in 1840 he made his home and became a successful wine-grower. He was for many years a member of the local board of St John's Church of England School. 

RAYMOND TERRACE (From a Correspondent). The interesting ceremony of uncovering a monumental sundial which has been erected on a nicely elevated spot ínside the front entrance gate of St John's Church, Raymond Terrace, to the memory of the late Archibald Windeyer, Esq, of Kinross, many years a member of the local board of St John's Church of England School, took place today. The children of the school assembled at 12 o'clock, with their teacher, Mr William Kent, The Rev S Simm, chairman of the local board, Mr John Windeyer, of Kinross, and several of the Sunday School teachers, were also present. The Rev S Simm gave a short account of the history of the work, and its cost, £50, he also gave some interesting particulars of the death-bed and exemplary life of him to whose memory the monument was erected.

The memorial is hexagonal, in the Gothic style, its entire elevation being 6 feet 4 inches, commencing from a flight of three steps, 24 feet in circumference at the bottom of the first step. The pedestal springs from a beautifully moulded base, having sunk panels on each face, finished with tracery. This is surmounted with a handsome capital, executed in what is known as Ravensfield stone. The whole of this beautiful piece of work was executed by Mr J. W. Carran sculptor, of West Maitland. The dial plate is of brass, eighteen inches in diameter, and was constructed by Messrs Flavelle Brothers, and Roberts, of Sydney. It was most kindly placed in position by Cecil Darley, Esq, of Newcastle. It is a splendid piece of work, and bears the following inscription - " Erected by the children and friends of St John's school, to the memory of Archibald Windeyer, of Kinross, AD 1870." From the position in which the monument is placed, an admirable view can be obtained of it from the street. 
Raymond Terrace, June 26.
Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW),
29 June 1871.



Address:45 Sturgeon Street, St John`s Anglican Church grounds, Raymond Terrace, 2324
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.764913
Long: 151.741677
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Artist:Mr J. W. Curran (sculptor)
Monument Manufacturer:Flavelle Brothers & Roberts (Sydney, NSW)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 26th June, 1871
Front Inscription

Erected By The Children And Friends Of St John's School, To The Memory Of Archibald Windeyer Of Kinross A.D.1870. 

Source: H, MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design