J. H. TurnerPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The stained glass window, erected by the Masonic Brethren of Armidale, commemorates J. H. Turner who died in 1880. Mr Turner presented the ground on which the Masonic Hall was built. 

On 22nd March, the members of the Armidale Lodge of Unity laid the foundation-stone of a new Masonic Hall, on the ground recently presented to that lodge by Mr. J. H. Turner, of Armidale. The building is to be constructed of brick, and to be ready for occupation in about four months. 
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 14 April 1860.

Mr. J. H. Turner, a very old resident of Armidale, passed over to the " great majority," last Sunday forenoon, from a general decay of nature. The deceased was in business, as a tailor in Armidale, over 25 years ago, but owing to failing health he had to give up his trade, the occupation being too sedentary. He was then appointed verger of the Church of England, which appointment he held, to the satisfaction of all, until a few years since, when his health compelled him to give it up. We have heard him say that he had served under five bishops, and that Bishop Turner was the best master he was ever under. The deceased being a Freemason, also an Oddfellow, both bodies walked in procession at his funeral, which took place on Monday afternoon. At the house of the deceased, Mr. Govers read the Oddfellows' burial service; at the cemetery, the Rev. D. M. Sinclair, of Uralla, read the Church of England service, and Dr. Wigan read the Freemasons' service.
Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW),
13 March 1880.



Address:128 Dangar Street, St Peters Cathedral, Armidale, 2350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.515115
Long: 151.664765
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Source: H, MA, PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design