www.monumentaustralia.org.au

F. A. PetersonPrint Page Print this page

09-January-2017
09-January-2017

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The F. A. Peterson Memorial Hut on K Col in Mount Field National Park, built by Hobart Walking Club members, was opened in March 1960 by Sir Edmund Hillary. This was during the Easter camp of the Adult Education Board, at which many members assisted.

The F.A. Peterson Memorial Hut (also known as K Col Hut) was built in honour of “Bobs” Peterson, a one-time member of the Hobart Walking Club (HWC) who was appointed as Secretary of the Mt Field National Park Board in the late 1940’s.  Members of the HWC built the hut which was officially opened by Sir Edmund Hillary in March 1960.  With exterior walls built of stone, the hut is A-frame in design with an upper sleeping platform. While not overly large by average standards it is a welcome high country refuge providing emergency shelter for hikers on route to Mt Field West.  In November 2015 a grant from the Tasmanian Community Fund to the Friends of Mount Field enabled much needed repairs and maintenance to be carried out on the hut.

Location

Address:K Col Mountain, On Walk to Mount Field west, National Park , 7140
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.673248
Long: 146.548024
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:March-1960
Front Inscription

F. A. Bobs Peterson

Memorial Hut

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design