www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Hector Collard & Oliver JonesPrint Page Print this page

Hector Collard + Oliver Jones
Hector Collard + Oliver Jones

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The Town map was erected as a tribute to local residents Hector Collard and Oliver Jones. 

In the early 1900's, Maldon's deep-reef mines were closing down, leaving many miners and tradesmen without jobs. Hector Collard and Oliver Jones were two who took their families to live in the working class suburbs of Melbourne, to find work.

Once there, they kept in touch with other Maldon expats, who formed the Maldon and District Fraternal Society. Over the next half-century, this group regularly returned to Maldon for the Easter Fair, raising significant donations for the Maldon Hospital and other community groups from their base in Melbourne.

In 1963, their wives donated a District Map in honour of their late husbands' work for the Society and the Shire of Maldon.

 

Location

Address:High Street, Maldon, 3463
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.996667
Long: 144.068056
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1963
Front Inscription

A Tribute In Memory Of

HECTOR COLLARD And OLIVER JONES

Erected 1963

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design