www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Edmund Joseph O`LoughlinPrint Page Print this page

05-January-2020
05-January-2020

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson
The tree was planted in recognition of Edmund Joseph O`Loughlin`s services to the Durham Lead and Garibaldi communities.

Today, apart from small roadside signage indicating that one has arrived at Garibaldi, there’s not much to break the vista of green, friendly-looking, rolling farmlands, apart from the old Garibaldi school (c 1852). The most obvious example of locals working together can be seen in this beautifully restored old schoolhouse which now serves as the Community Hall. A reminder of the district’s gold mining past is evident from the large mullock heap, sitting close by the school. When the school closed in 1942, the Education Department sold it to the local community for the sum of one pound. The building was used as a hall up until to 1970s, when it fell into a serious state of disrepair.

In 1982, a local farmer Edmund O’Loughlin rallied the community, contributed some of his own funds, organised fund raising events such as endurance horse rides and concerts, and eventually obtained some grants from the Shire of Buninyong. The rest of the 1980s and early 1990s saw the community undertaking restoration tasks – reblocking, repainting, and installing toilets and a kitchen.

Location

Address:28 Hardies Hill Road, Garibaldi Hall, Garibaldi, 3352
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.717434
Long: 143.881087
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Front Inscription

EDMUND JOSEPH 
O`LOUGHLIN
In Recognition Of
Services To The Durham
Lead / Garibaldi
 Communities

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design