www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles KernanPrint Page Print this page

22-March-2016
22-March-2016

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams
The Reserve was named in honour of Charles Kernan and his family who made an important social and political contribution to the area during the latter half of the 20th century. The reserve was upgraded in 2010. 

Location

Address:Abercrombie & Shepherd Street, Charles Kernan Reserve, Darlington, 2008
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.891884
Long: 151.194283
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1978
Front Inscription
Plaque: 

Charles 'Big Charlie' Kernan (1909-1976) was a 
long term resident of Darlington. He and his wife
Annie, known as 'Sheila', made an important
contribution to the social and political life of the
area in the second half of the 20th century.

Charles was born in Ireland in 1909 and immigrated 
to Australia with Sheila and his brother, Joseph, in 
1936. He and Joseph served with the Australian 
Army during World War II. 

After the war ended, Charles , Sheila and their
sons, William and Denis, lived in Darlington; first
at Raglan Street, then Alma Street and finally at
Rose Street. 

Charles worked at Callan Park Mental Hospital and 
the Metter's foundry in Erskineville. In 1958, he was
employed by the Sydney City Council, and later
South Sydney Council, working in the cleansing 
departments. He retired in 1973.

'Big Charlie' was secretary of the West Sydney 
branch of the Australian Labor Party from the late
1950s. He was well regarded in the community for
his fund-raising efforts for residents in need. Charles
Kernan Reserve was named in his honour in 1978. 

Plaque: 
CHARLES
KERNAN
RESERVE
We invigorated this park with
a new children's playground, BBQ's
lights, seats and native plants, and
worked with residents to establish
a communal food garden.
Clover Moore
Officially opened by
Clover Moore MP
Lord Mayor of Sydney
30 October 2010

Design by JMD Design and
constructed by Furness Landscapes

CITY OF SYDNEY   city of villages



 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design