www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Dr George ReadPrint Page Print this page

21-November-2014
21-November-2014
Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The gates commemorate Dr George Read who donated the land for the Salmon Ponds at Plenty in the Derwent Valley.

The Salmon Ponds, circa 1861, is the oldest trout hatchery in the Southern Hemisphere. It was the birthplace of trout in Australia and the origin of Tasmania’s legendary trout fishery. The Salmon Ponds has operated since the 1860s and is owned by the Inland Fisheries Service. Trout raised here, using eggs harvested from wild fish, are used to complement Tasmania’s world renowned fishery.

A set of gates erected as a memorial to the man who donated the land for the salmon ponds at Plenty in the Derwent Valley was officially opened on Saturday. The memorial gates were opened by the Attorney General (Mr. Fagan), who praised the action of the late Dr. George Reid (sic) in granting the land. Mr. Fagan also unveiled a plaque on the gates to perpetuate the work of two Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries commissioners. They are the present chairman of the commissioners (Mr. O. H. Hedberg) and a former commissioner (Mr. H. W. Cramp).
Examiner (Launceston), 2nd March 1953.

Location

Address:70 Salmon Ponds Road, Salmon Ponds Heritage Hatchery & Gardens, Plenty, 7140
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.7539897
Long: 146.9694015
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 28th February, 1953
Front Inscription

To The Memory Of

GEORGE FREDERICK READ,
L.R.G.P., L.R.G.S. (Edin.)
Who Bequeathed These Grounds
To The Crown For Propagation
And Study Of Fish Life

Erected By
The Salmon And Freshwater Fisheries
Commissioners

A. D. 1952

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design