Mr F. WyattPrint Page Print this page

A stained glass window, erected by the congregation, commemorates Mr. F. Wyatt, church architect, who designed the transept and chancel of the church. Mr Wyatt died in 1878. 

It is with deep regret that we record the death at Hawthorn, of fever, after a very brief illness, of Mr. F. Wyatt, the well-known ecclesiastical architect. Although comparatively young in years, and in the colony, Mr. Wyatt was almost without a rival in Australia in church architecture of the Gothic and Early English styles. When it was proposed to invite local competition for the design for the new Cathedral, his name was mentioned on all sides as that of the competitor most likely to be successful. Mr. Wyatt designed the plans for the late enlargement of All Saints' Church, St. Kilda, which were carried out under his superintendence. The beautiful little country church at Bacchus Marsh was also built from his drawings.

The parsonage at Sunbury — the opening of which by the Bishop of Melbourne took place not a month ago— was another of his successes. Mr. Wyatt was an attached member of the Church of England, always ready to render to the clergy the invaluable aid of his advice and suggestions — whether a church was to be built in a poor district, or a design was required for an altar cloth or a font. At the time of his death he was engaged in superintending the erection from his own design of the new buildings of Trinity College, the council of which institution have since met and passed a resolution expressing their condolence with his widow, and their deep sense of the loss which they and the whole church have sustained in his untimely removal.
Church of England Messenger and Ecclesiastical Gazette for the Diocese of Melbourne and Ballarat (Vic.), 13 April 1878. 


Special reference was made in the sermon delivered at the morning service on Sunday in All Saints Church, St Kilda, by the Rev J H Gregory, to the memorial windows which have just been added to the south transept of that church. These stained glass windows are five in number, and complete the series begun in the north transept. Of those revealed on Sunday, one was presented by the Sunday School teachers and children, one was provided by the congregation in memory of Mr F Wyatt, who designed the transept and chancel, and the remaining three were the gifts respectively of Messrs W Couche H Darlot, and A Cleveland in memory of deceased relatives. The windows have been supplied by Messrs De Porten and Co, of Brussels, and are beautiful specimens of Munich glass The subjects dealt with are the raising of " Jairus' Daughter," "The Agony in the Garden," "The Resurrection," "The Appearance of St. Mary Magdalene," and "The Charge to St Peter."  The details of the whole of these are beautifully worked out. The Rev Mr. Gregory discoursed on the value and use of religious pictures, and in the course of his remarks expressed a wish to secure for the church two beautiful brass candelabra, which were lately offered to him in London.
Excerpt from Argus (Melbourne), 26 July 1881.


Address:2 Chapel Street, All Saints Anglican Church, St Kilda , 3182
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.858574
Long: 144.992507
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Monument Manufacturer:De Portens (Brussels,Belgium)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th July, 1881
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design