150th Anniversary of KilkivanPrint Page Print this page

Kilkivan 150th Anniversary Sign / March 2013
Kilkivan 150th Anniversary Sign / March 2013

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The sign commemorates 150 years of settlement in Kilkivan district.

Kilkivan was first settled by Europeans in the 1840s. Queensland’s first gold discovery was at Kilkivan in 1852 and subsequent findings escalated into a gold rush in the 1860s. The town was named for a pastoral run owned by pastoralist John Daniel Mactaggart after his father's farm name in Kintire, Scotland.



Address:Wide Bay Highway (Bligh Street) , Kilkivan , 4600
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.085196
Long: 152.23723
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1848
Approx. Event End Date:1998


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 31st October, 1998
Front Inscription


1848   Kilkivan   1998

A tribute to our Pioneers



Inscription in Proximity
Sesquicentennial of Kilkivan District
This sign commemorates 150 years of settlement in Kilkivan District and was unveiled by Mr Douglas C. Mactaggart  descendant of Mr John Mactaggart who settled Kilkivan Station.
31 October 1998
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design