www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Finley PioneersPrint Page Print this page

Finley Pioneers : 26-November-2012
Finley Pioneers : 26-November-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The memorial, unveiled during the town's centenary, commemorates the pioneers of Finley and District.

The first permanent residence in the town was built in 1878. The post office opened on 1 January 1881 but was known as Murray Hut until 1893. Europeans first settled the area around Finley in the early 1840s, with wheat becoming the main crop.

The Finley Agricultural & Pastoral Association was formed in 1912 and held its first show on 17 September 1913. The agricultural show is still held annually on the first Sunday in September .

Periods of severe drought, combined with the Great Depression of the early 1930s, forced many farmers to abandon their holdings. In 1935, construction on the Mulwala Canal began in order to provide employment and bring water to the area’s rich farmland, with irrigation reaching the area in 1939, celebrated with a 'Back-To-Finley' event. This enabled the region to prosper with beef and dairy cattle, sheep, wheat, rice, barley, maize and canola.

 

Location

Address:Murray Street (Newell Highway), Mary Lawson Wayside Rest, Finley, 2713
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.650381
Long: 145.572836
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1893
Approx. Event End Date:1993

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 16th December, 1993
Front Inscription

FINLEY CENTENARY
1893 - 1993

In Recognition of the Contribution made by
'The Pioneers of
the Town and District'
                    16 December 1993.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design