150th Anniversary of SettlementPrint Page Print this page

150th Anniversary of Settlement : 18-February-2012
150th Anniversary of Settlement : 18-February-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A park which consists of a number of windmills commemorates the 150th anniversary of the township of Beeac. A pavilion covered in informative displays show the history of not only the windmills but how the town has evolved over its 150 years

The park contains examples of the work of the six manufacturers known to have conducted business there from the 1890s to the 1940s. All the windmills on display were donated by property owners in the district and restoration work was carried out by local Dick Shinners, a retired general engineer.

Beeac was originally created as a reserve for campers, and the name is thought to mean either "salt lake" or "grubs" in the local Aboriginal language. From 1860, the area was opened for selection and a townsite was surveyed in 1864.



Address:Main Street (Colac - Ballarat Road), Beeac Windmill Heritage Park , Beeac, 3251
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.196372
Long: 143.640806
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd October, 2010
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design