Hoffnungsthal Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Hoffnungsthal Pioneer Memorial : 23-August-2011
Hoffnungsthal Pioneer Memorial : 23-August-2011

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

Hoffnungsthal Pioneer Memorial was erected on the site of the church to commemorate 125th anniversary of the founding of the congregation in 1847. Additional plaques were unveiled on the memorial in 1997 to commemorate the 150th anniversary. 

Hoffnungsthal Memorial (Valley of Hope) is the location of a former German pioneer settlement, located in South Australia's Barossa Valley. Founded in 1847, it was located in an ephemeral lagoon which was dry for the first years of settlement. Local Peramangk people warned the settlers that the area was prone to flooding, but this advice was ignored. In October 1853, after a week of heavy spring rains, the village was flooded and many of the houses were evacuated. After the cost of a proposed drain was seen as prohibitive, the village was eventually left deserted and while a few remained in the area the settlement was eventually abandoned. The Hoffnungsthal Lutheran church, which was built on higher ground continued to serve the community until 1867.


Address:Hoffnungstal Road, Lyndoch, 5351
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.616008
Long: 138.913156
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th October, 1972
Front Inscription

Hoffnungsthal Pioneer Memorial

This stone marks the site of the Church erected by the Lutheran pioneers who settled here in 1847.

Hereunder are the names recorded in the Register of the Congregation

[ Names ]

Erected by the Lutheran Congregations of Lyndoch and Rowland Flat

Unveiled on the 125th anniversary of the founding of this Congregation

Oct 15th 1972

Plaque :

Hoffnungsthal  founding families

[ Names ]  

Commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the settlement of Hoffnungsthal in 1847

Plaque :

Hoffnungsthal Pioneer Memorial.  

Hereunder are the additional names of Congregation members 1847 - 1867

[ Names ] 

Erected by the Hoffnungsthal Committee and the Lyndoch Historical Society with proceeds from the 150th Anniversary.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design