Aramac Bicentenary MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The memorial commemorates the bicentenary of Australia in 1988 and the naming of the town in 1875. The memorial was donated in 1988 by the descendants of one of the first white families, the Dicksons who ancestors arrived in the district in 1874. 

In the 1850s, pastoralist and future Premier of Queensland Robert Ramsay Mackenzie travelled through the area, which was on the traditional lands of the Iningai. He blazed a big tree with the inscription 'R R Mac', which was later corrupted into the name of the town. William Landsborough also explored the area in 1859. Pastoral occupation began in 1862 on the Bowen Downs Station on Reedy Creek, north of Aramac, and the Aramac Station (1863).

In 1867 an employee of Aramac Station, John William Kingston, opened a bark-hut store at an outlying point on the Aramac Creek. Enlarged two years later to include a hotel (Kingston's Bazaar), Kingston's settlement was declared a town site in 1869 and surveyed as a town in 1875. It was the region's first town, and the centre of the first local-government division. The town was originally called Marathon. The name was changed to that of Aramac, after the station, when the survey was conducted in 1875


Address:Gordon Street, Memorial Park , Aramac, 4726
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -22.978382
Long: 145.242426
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

William Landsborough
Named Aramack Creek
In The Parish Of Marathon
After Robert Ramsay 
Mackenzie In 1859
The Town Aramac 
Was Named In 1875
Donated For The Bicentenary 1988
By Joe & Clara Dickson
Descendant Of One Of The 
First White Families To Arrive 
The Dicksons 1874

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design