www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Bruni D`Entrecasteaux & NicholsPrint Page Print this page

Plaque 2 : 2007
Plaque 2 : 2007

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The Plaques commemorate the naming of the Cygnet as Port de Cygnes by D`Entrecasteaux in 1793, the pioneering of the district by William Nichols in 1834 and the establishment of the town in 1838. The plaques were unveiled on the 150th anniversary of the district. A time capsule is underneath the stone and is to be opened in 2034.

Location

Address:Mary Street, Cygnet, 7112
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -43.160657
Long: 147.075949
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 11th November, 1984
Front Inscription

Plaque :
To Commemorate 
Rear Admiral Bruny D' Entrecasteaux 
who named Cygnet 'Port de Cygnes 1792, 
and William Nichols, pioneer of Cygnet, 1834 
who gave his name to the Nichols Rivulet.

Presented by the Huon Hotel

Plaque :

This Plaque was Unveiled by 
The Warden, Mr. M.J. Thomas, 
on 11th November 1984. 
To Commemorate the Naming of Cygnet 
"Porte de Cygnes" , 
by Rear Admiral Bruny D'Entrecasteaux , 1793.
The Pioneering of the district by William Nichols, 1834. 
The Establishment of the Town, 1838.
First called Port Cygnet, then Lovett.
Proclaimed as Cygnet, 1915.

Presented by the ANZ Banking Group Ltd., 
To Mark the 150th Anniversary of the district. 
Underneath this stone is a time capsule 
to be opened in the year 2034.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design