150th Year of SettlementPrint Page Print this page

Settlers Memorial Plaque
Settlers Memorial Plaque
Photographs supplied by Angela Gee, School Executive Officer, Avoca Primary School

The plaque attached to the Avoca War Memorial Gates commemorates 150 years of settlement of Avoca.

Located on the banks of the South Esk River it was originally named `St Paul`s Plains` by John Helder Wedge who surveyed the area in 1833. The area was first explored and settled by Europeans in the 1820s but it wasn`t until the 1830s, when convict probation stations were established at Avoca, Fingal, St Marys and Falmouth, that roads and bridges were built.

The ready supply of cheap labour from the probation stations probably had much to do with opening up of the area. The official settlement and establishment of the town occurred in 1834. Its economic reason for existence was a mixture of farming and the mining of coal and tin. Only the farming exists today.


Address:Esk Highway, Boucher Memorial Park, Avoca, 7213
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.782564
Long: 147.720194
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1834
Approx. Event End Date:1984


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 18th March, 1984
Front Inscription

To Commemorate
The 150th Year
Of Settlement
Of The Avoca District
1834 - 1984

Unveiled On
The 18th Day Of March 1984
His Excellency
Sir James Plimsoll AC. CBE.
Governor of Tasmania


Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design