www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Port NeillPrint Page Print this page

30-November-2020
30-November-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the settlement of Port Neill and 100 years of farming, commerce and community achievements in the district. 

The first settlers arrived in 1873 when John Tennant and his son Andrew took up land around the bay, then known as Mottled Cove. The town was first called Carrow and was gazetted in 1903 and laid out in January 1909 by surveyor William Greig Evans. The name 'Carrow' came from an Aboriginal word relating to a soakage rock hole. Some confusion was caused by the similarity of the name to the locality of Warrow (near Coulta on south-western Eyre Peninsula) and the town was renamed Port Neill on 19 September 1940. The name of the town honours a Warden of the Marine Board, Andrew Sinclair Neill.

Location

Address:Peake Terrace, Foreshore, Port Neill, 5604
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.116851
Long: 136.348732
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 4th October, 2008
Front Inscription

         Unveiled By 
Federal Member For Grey 
Rowan Ramsey MP

PORT NEILL CENTENARY
4 - 6 OCTOBER 2008

Commemorating 100 Years Of Farming
Commerce And Community Achievements
       In Our District

This Plaque Donated By A & R Chalmers

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design