www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page

20-December-2012
20-December-2012

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson / Arthur Garland / Bryan Cole / Stephen Warren

The memorial was unveiled by the Governor, Major-General Sir Winston Dugan on Sunday 27 December 1936 as part of the centenary celebrations. It was designed by G. Beaumont Smith to commemorate the foundation of South Australia and to honour the early settlers.

On the south and north faces are bronze tablets listing the names of the first explorers: Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker, Light and the first settlers, and the north tablet lists the founders: Wakefield, Gouger, Torrens, G.F. Angas and others. At the top of the four panels are portraits of Wakefield, Hindmarsh, Gouger and Angas and crowning the tip of the 12.9 metre high monument of Kapunda marble with its base of Murray Bridge granite is a bronze replica of the Buffalo.

A plaque was placed on the memorial to commemorate the visit by Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh in 1977 and again in 1986 to commemorate the sesqui-centenary of the foundation of South Australia. 

An assurance that the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg will be completed in time for the unveiling ceremony on Sunday, December 27, has been given to the Mayor of Glenelg (Mr. Fisk) by the contractor for the memorial (Mr A. S. Tillett). Mr. Fisk said today that the unveiling ceremony would be performed by the Governor (Sir Winston Dugan) at 8.30 p.m. on December 27. Mr. Fisk hopes that following the opening, a divine service will be conducted appropriate to the occasion.

It is anticipated that congregations attending churches holding centenary religious services on that night will proceed from the churches to the memorial. "I expect a large influx of old colonists for the unveiling," said Mr. Fisk, "and that the whole ceremony will befit the purpose for which the memorial is being constructed."
News (Adelaide), 28 November 1936.

Location

Address:Moseley Square, Jetty Road, Glenelg, 5045
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.980353
Long: 138.511108
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Designer:G Beaumont Smith
Monument Manufacturer:Mr A. S. Tillett (Adelaide, SA)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 27th December, 1936
Front Inscription

HINDMARSH

Here, At Holdfast Bay,
Landed The
Pioneer Settlers
   And 
Governor Hindmarsh
Announced The
Establishment Of
The Government
On Dec. 28th 1836

Left Side Inscription

PIONEERS

In Tribute To
The First Explorers
Of South Australia.
Nuyts - Flinders - Baudin
Sturt -   Barker -   Light
            And
In Grateful Remembrance
Of The First Settlers 
Men And Women
  Who By
Faith And Courage
Endured The Hardships
Of Pioneer Settlement
To Lay The Foundations
Of South Australia

Si Monumentum Requirus 
  Circumspice 

Back Inscription

  WAKEFIELD

      Erected
To Commemorate
The Hundredth 
  Anniversary Of
The Foundation
Of The Province
Of South Australia
   1836 - 1936

Plaque :

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
      And
HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS
THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH
Landed At Glenelg From H.M.Y. Britannia
On 20 April 1977
During The Royal Jubilee Tour
       And
On 9 March 1986
To Commemorate The Sesquicentenary
Of South Australia 
 

Right Side Inscription

To The Memory Of 
Edward Gibbon Wakefield  
Robert Gouger  
Robert Torrens  
George Fife Angus
And Other Founders
Who Overcame
Great Difficulties
To Secure The 
South Australian 
Foundation Act
Of 1834
And Who Continued
To Labour Ceaselessly
Until The Province
Was Firmly Established. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design