Bass Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Neil Follett

A memorial plaque erected on the reverse side of the Bass memorial in 1985 commemorates Samuel Anderson, his brothers Hugh and Thomas, and his partner Robert Massie who made the first permanent settlement in Eastern Victoria here.

In 1835 a Scottish immigrant from Kirkudbright Scotland named Samuel Anderson sailed up the Bass River and with a partner Robert Massie established the third permanent settlement in Victoria.  Samuel's brothers Hugh and Thomas joined him at Bass where they established a successful farming venture.


Address:Hade Avenue, George Bass Park, Bass, 3991
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.484553
Long: 145.466677
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:September-1835
Approx. Event End Date:September-1835


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 22nd September, 1985
Front Inscription

The first permanent settlement in
Eastern Victoria was established
a short distance west of this
point in September, 1835, by
Samuel Anderson
He was later joined by his partner 
Robert Massie and his brothers
Hugh and Thomas Anderson
This memorial pays tribute to
their vision and courage

Erected by the Council of the
Shire of Bass, and the Bass Valley
Historical Society.

Unveiled 22nd September, 1985, by
Mrs. Amelia Auckett
great grand-daughter of
Thomas Anderson.

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design