www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centre of New South Wales Cairn Print Page Print this page

24-April-2011
24-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The cairn marks the geographical centre of New South Wales and was erected to commemorate the nation's bicentenary in 1988. 

The cairn was constructed using slag from the old Mount Royal and the Bogan River Copper Mines.

Location

Address:Cockies Road, Five Ways, 42 kilometres west of Tottenham, Tottenham, 2873
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.163191
Long: 147.032179
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

Australia 
1788 - 1988

This cairn was erected by Bogan Shire Council during the 1988 Becentennial Year 

To mark the geographical centre of New South Wales as determined by the Central Mapping Authority of N.S.W. by graphical  digitisation.

J. G. Delaney     J. J. Hoare           R. P. Whatham
Shire Clerk         Shire President    Shire Engineer

Plaque : 

This cairn is constructed from slag taken from the Mount Royal Copper Mine and the Bogan River Copper Mine.  

The discovery of the former led to the birth of the present town of Tottenham.  

Material donated by Mr. A. E. Hudson of Tottenham.

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design