Jubilee of the "Constitution"Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The obelisk was erected to commemorate those who died on the voyage, and those who died after arrival, on the ship "Constitution" which sailed from England on 15 February 1855. The tablets were placed by the surviving passengers to commemorate the jubilee of their arrival in Australia on the 27th May 1855 and a reunion held on Empire Day (24th May).

An additional plaque was placed on the memorial on the 17th July 2005 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the arrival. 

SURVIVORS OF THE CONSTITUTION. By permission of the Board of Health, a number of surviving passengers of the ship Constitution, which arrived in Sydney on May 27, 1855, from Southampton, assembled at the Quarantine Ground, South Head, and unveiled a memorial. The proceedings were of a most enthusiastic character, the chief speakers, being Alderman Spring (Mayor of Darlington), Mr. C. Adams (brother of the late Mr. George Adams), Mr. W. Gates, and Mr. G. Brentnall.   The memorial, which is erected on the hill, takes the form of an obelisk. On it are two marble tablets: on one the names of the survivors have been engraved, and on the other the memory of those who died on the passage and of those who expired after landing at the Quarantine Station is perpetuated. After the unveiling the party boarded the steamer Cobar, where luncheon was served and further speeches were made. 
Evening News (Sydney), 24 May 1905.


Address:North Head, Quarantine Station, North Head Scenic Drive, Manly, 2095
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.815794
Long: 151.289444
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:15-February-1855
Actual Event End Date:27-May-1855
Designer:F Tidderman, J Willaley, J Smith & T Grimes (masons)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 24th May, 1905
Front Inscription

[ Names ]

This memorial was erected by the passengers of the ship "Constitution" which arrived 27th May 1855.

In memory of those who died on the passage, and also those who died after arrival. 

These tablets were placed here by the above named surviving passengers to commemorate the jubilee of their arrival, and a reunion held on the ground on the first Empire Day,

24th May 1905.

Left Side Inscription

1855 ..  .. 2005

150th anniversary of the arrival of the Constitution immigrants.

Celebrated by their descendants to honour the optimism, the energy and the tenancity of these New Chums.

This plaque was unveiled by Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC Governor of New South Wales.

17 July 2005

Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au