Tenindewa School SitePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris Abbott

The monument recognises the site of the former Tenindewa School, which operated from 31 March 1913 until 4 August 1939, and was funded to celebrate the Bicentenary of the European settlement of Australia from 1788 to 1988.

In 1988, a memorial plaque was unveiled on the former site of the school by 2 former pupils. The plaques were made available by the Australia Bicentennial Authority with support from the Mullewa Shire. In April 2015 a replica school building was launched at the school site.

The first school at Tenindewa opened on the 31st March 1913 in a building donated by Mr Norman Fry, one of the original settlers on the Woolya Estate. One acre of land was included with the building, on the understanding that the Education Department would be responsible for the costs of the survey and land transfer fees. The first teacher was Miss Eva Stafford, the daughter of early settlers at Tenindewa.

A school reserve of 5 acres to the north of Tenindewa was gazetted on the 23rd October 1914, followed by a contract for the construction of a new school. The builder was Mr C. N. Turner, the price being 170 pounds 10 shillings and 8 pence ($341.07) and the completion date was to be by the 15th March 1915.

This new building was completed to schedule and just as well, as a severe storm completely demolished the old school. The teacher reported that after conferring with the builders, classes were commenced in the new room on the 4th March 1915. The acre of land of the old school was subsequently returned to Mr Fry.

When enrolments fell below the minimum requirement of eight, the school was forced to close, the residents having to wait until there were sufficient numbers to again re-open the school. This school was closed for three periods, the longest being from 1924 to 1927 and again from 1928 to 1931. When the school was re-opened, the families were required to guarantee to make up the teacher’s salary if the attendance fell below the minimum of eight.

The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA), pursuant to the Australian Bicentennial Authority Act 1980,was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage. State Councils were also created to ensure cooperation between the federal and state governments. The result was a national programme of events and celebrations to commemorate the Bicentenary.



Address:Track to Woolya reserve - Tenindewa Pioneer Well, Off Yuna - Tenindewa Road, Tenindewa, 6632
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.617557
Long: 115.363607
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:26-January-1788
Actual Event End Date:26-January-1988


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

This is the site of the Tenindewa School

Opened on March 3, 1913.                Closed on October 16, 1922.
Reopened on February 14, 1923.      Closed on April 30, 1924.
Reopened on September 5, 1927.     Closed on March 2, 1928.
Reopened on September 30, 1931.   Closed on August 4, 1939


Eva Stafford            Mar 1913 - Aug 1918     Mary Sheil               Sep 1931 - Dec 1931 
Ethel Knowler         Sep 1916 - Jun 1919      David Williams        Feb 1932 - Apr 1937 
Jean Paton             Jun 1919 - Dec 1920      Robert Jones           Apr 1937 - Apr 1937
Jessie Cameron     Feb 1921 - Oct 1922      * Jessie Petroff         Apr 1937 - Jul 1937 
Gertrude Edwards  Feb 1923 - Apr 1924      Margaret Robinson  Jul 1937 - Dec 1937 
Marjorie Giles         Sep 1927 - Mar 1928    Kathleen Power        Feb 1938 - Aug 1939

* Returned To School - Married name Petroff

Recognition of this school site has been jointly funded by the Shire of Mullewa and the Australian Bicentennial Authority to celebrate Australia`s Bicentenary  1988



Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design