www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of DawsonPrint Page Print this page

09-September-2021
09-September-2021
Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The arch commemorates the centenary of Dawson from 1881 to 1981.

The government town of Dawson was surveyed in February 1881; it was often referred to as Coglin in its early years. It was founded as part of an attempt to establish wheat farming north of Goyder`s Line , but this proved unsuccessful in the long term, and the Crystal Brook - Broken Hill railway line bypassed Dawson, instead running further south through OOdla Wirra and Peterborough. Coglin Post Office opened in 1881, was renamed Dawson Post Office in April 1882, and closed on 14 August 1971.

Note: Dawson is now an abandoned town. 

Location

Address:Peterborough - Dawson Road & High Street, Former Methodist Church, Dawson, 5422
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.804159
Long: 138.975507
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1881
Approx. Event End Date:1981

Dedication

Front Inscription

DAWSON

1881  1981

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design