www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Maclean- Portree Twin Towns LinkPrint Page Print this page

14-July-2021
14-July-2021

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque acknowledges the contribution of early Scots to Maclean`s heritage and details the history of the town and its twin town of Portree on the Isle Of Skye.

Maclean is known as the "Scottish Town in Australia". 

Location

Address:River Street, McLachlan Park, Maclean, 2463
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.454763
Long: 153.196722
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Front Inscription
MACLEAN - PORTREE
TWIN TOWNS LINK

MACLEAN NSW
The town of Maclean was laid out in 1862 at what was the "Rocky Mouth," and was named Maclean after the Surveyor General, Alexander Grant McLean. In the early 1860s the area was settled by several hundred free selectors, many of them Scots, brought to Australia some years earlier by Dr. Dunmore Lang following the Highland Clearances. The first Highland Gathering was held in 1893 and subsequently the Lower Clarence Scottish Society was formed and still flourishes. Maclean is the southern limit of the Australian sugar crop, and the Harwood Mill is the oldest operational mill in Australia (1874).  Todays residents of Maclean acknowledge the contribution these early Scots made to our heritage, and recognise this by claiming the title of "Maclean - The Scottish Town in Australia."
PORTREE- ISLE OF SKYE
Portree is the capital of the Isle of Skye. The name is derived from a visit of King James V, who landed here in 1540. Since that time the place has been known as Port An Righ ( Port Of The King), or Portree as we know it. Before then, the harbour and anchorage known as Lock Columcille after St. Columba. It is believed that the chapel on the island in Loch Portree whose ruins can still be traced was erected by this itinerant saint. 
At the time of King James V`s visit, Portree was but a few scattered houses. It was not until the 18th century that the township`s growth began to evolve. The old thatched Inn on the site of the present Royal Hotel was where Bonnie Prince Charles bade farewell to the fair Flora MacDonald, before embarking for Ramsay. Celebrated wanderers, Johnson & Boswell, also staying at the Inn, known as MacNab`s Inn witnessed the sad parting of Flora and the Bonnie Prince.

Another Project Of The Maclean, Scottish Town In Australia Committee 

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design