www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Booleroo WhimPrint Page Print this page

17-June-2021
17-June-2021
Photographs supplied by Denis Binnion

The plaque commemorates the pioneers of the Booleroo District who drew water from the well at this location.

The Hundred of Booleroo was officially proclaimed in 1875 however no town was surveyed at this time. A town site in the hundred was surveyed by the colonial government in 1878, but the early European settlers established the town elsewhere. The hundred's name was derived from a local Aboriginal word. Sources vary on its meaning with suggestions including "plenty" or "soft mud". The town's location in the centre of the Hundred of Booleroo led to the name Booleroo Centre.

Booleroo Whim settlement was based around the government well sunk in the 1850s. The well or whim was last used in 1938 and mainly swept away in a flood in 1940. The district around the whim had a blacksmith shop, several houses a school and the Bethlehems Lutheran Church and the Wesleyan Methodist church. The local blacksmith Mr Hinton from Pekina also ran the Post Office. The first farmers as opposed to pastoralists arrived at Booleroo Whim in 1876. 

 

Location

Address:Willowie - Booleroo Road & Whim Road, Booleroo Centre, 5482
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.781827
Long: 138.332281
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 12th April, 1978
Front Inscription

Booleroo Whim

Along the pathway of the years the phantom horse will tread 
Recalling those who strove and built who died but are not dead
 
Dedicated to the pioneers of this District who drew water at this well

Erected by District residents

13th April 1975

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design