Nuriootpa Centennial ParkPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The park commemorates the pioneers of Nuriootpa. The park was established in 1936 during South Australia`s Centenary celebrations. 

The establishment or the Nuriootpa Centennial Park was discussed at a committee meeting held in the Soldiers' Memorial Hall. Members of the old park committee met the members of the Centennial committee in conference with reference to the disposal of the old park. While it was recognised that it was desirable to dispose of the old grounds, it was felt that legal advice should be obtained. The president (Mr. H. l. Sheard) reported that a tentative plan had been received from Mr. Day of the Town Planner's Department. Mr. Richmond of the Roads and Bridges Department, visited Nuriootpa and discussed the matter with the Centennial Park Committee. The Roads and Bridges Department accepted the proposals, leaving ample space for camping grounds and entrance gates. Mr. Sheard reported that Mr. A. Reusch had undertaken to produce a Centenary film. The president also reported that he had been in touch with Mr F Hall, the promoter of the "Cavalcade." The Gawler committee had consented to bring the entire company to Nuriootpa to stage a performance on May 9. It was reported that £150 deposit had been paid to Mr. W. Coulthard thus securing to the town for all time 15 acres of land, situated with a river frontage to the North.

The report of the collection committee showed that recent donations had totalled £105 9/6. which, with donations previously acknowledged, brought the total to £766/ 3. The queen competition to date brought in £46 6/8. making the grand total to date £812 19/8. A final plan of the Centennial Park, received from Mr Day, was submitted to the meeting. Details of the plan include a full sized oval, ample provision for an exercising ground for horses, cycle or trotting track, eight tennis courts, with shelter, with space for expansion: parking space for tennis members' cars, pavilion and agricultural hall, scoring board, ample area for the parking of cars, arbors, fireplaces for campers ,a motor drive encircling the oval, with an entrance at the southern end and an exit at the north-western corner, and a children's playground, together with avenues of trees and lawns and gardens. 
Advertiser (Adelaide), 3 April 1936.



Address:Penrice Drive, Nuriootpa, 5355
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.469133
Long: 139.001655
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Landscape
Designer:Mr Day


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 4th November, 1936
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Opened By 
November 4th 1936

A Memorial To The Pioneers

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design