www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of HawkerPrint Page Print this page

05-May-2021
05-May-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The memorial commemorates the centenary of Hawker from 1880 to 1980. The centenary celebrations were finalised by the burying of a time capsule to be opened in 2000.

The town was surveyed during March 1880 and was proclaimed on 1 July 1880. It was named after G.C. Hawker who was a member of the South Australian Parliament for the years 1858–1865 and 1875–1883.

After the proclamation its sale occasioned very spirited bidding particularly for ‘blocks near the railway station favourably placed for hotels and shops’. The supreme site was the large corner (Lot 470) on which the Royal Hotel (now Hawker Hotel) was erected later, and this brought the top price of £246. Lot 473 on which William Powell erected a hotel later named the ‘Wonoka’ brought £147. The storekeepers H. Gadd and G. Jackson paid, respectively, £72 (Lot 415) and £100 (Lot 391) for good sites facing the railway close to the station.

 

Location

Address:Elder Terrace & Flinders Ranges Way, Hawker, 5434
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.888244
Long: 138.421696
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event Start Date:01-July-1880
Actual Event End Date:01-July-1980

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 3rd October, 1980
Front Inscription

Plaque :

           HAWKER
Lat. 31. 53 S. Long. 138 . 25 E.
Proclaimed July 1st 1880.
Sited On Boundary Of Wonoka And 
      Kanyaka Stations
Both Leases Issued July 1st 1851.
District Council Formed Jan. 1888.
   District Council Area
2000 Square Kilometres
Population 650.
Average rainfall 305 mm.
Elevation 315 . 8 M.

Plaque :

May This Memorial Ever Remind
Us Of The Pioneers, Who With
Stout Hearts And Strong Hands
Tamed For Us A Continent. 

Plaque :

Unveiled by E. L. Sweet
Oct. 3rd 1980

Plaque :

Hawker Centenary Celebrations
Were Finalized With Burying Of This Capsule
             By 
H. K. Dearlove And F. A. Teague J. P.
             On
October 5th 1980.
To Be Opened In The Year 2000.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design