www.monumentaustralia.org.au

175th Anniversary of WalkervillePrint Page Print this page

22-April-2021
22-April-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The sign was erected to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the naming of Walkerville (1838 - 2013).

Walkerville was named after Captain John Walker R.N. (no relation to Captain Johnnie Walker), who took up land in the district in 1838, two years after the first colonists arrived in South Australia. The area was attractive to early settlers and within a few years, the settlement had become a village.

 

Location

Address:Victoria Terrace & Smith Street, Mary P Harris "Bundilla" Reserve, Walkerville, 5081
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.895138
Long: 138.617591
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sign
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1838
Approx. Event End Date:2013

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2013
Front Inscription

MARY P HARRIS `BUNDILLA`
RESERVE

Mary Patrick Harris` home and studio 'Bundilla'
was located near this reserve.
A prominent resident of Walkerville, 
Mary Harris [1891 - 1978] was an accomplished
arts teacher, artist and writer.

This sign was erected by the Town of Walkerville 
to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the 
naming of the village of Walkerville. 1838 - 2013

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design