www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100 Years of the Proclamation of MorchardPrint Page Print this page

19-April-2021
19-April-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The time capsule commemorates 100 years of the proclamation of the town of Morchard from 1877 to 1977.

The time capsule was placed underneath the meat boiler which was used at Pekina Station.

Morchard was laid out on land 'of very superior quality' originally taken up by Price Maurice and John Williams on pastoral leases 80 and 113. Morchard was proclaimed on 9 August 1877 and named by the Acting Governor, Sir Samuel Way, after his father`s birthplace in Morchards Bishops, Devonshire, England. 

 

Location

Address:Orroroo - Wilmington Road (B56) , Morchard, 5431
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.720231
Long: 138.491642
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Time Capsule
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1877
Approx. Event End Date:1977

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st August, 1977
Front Inscription

                Time Capsule

To Celebrate 100 years Of The Proclamation
Of The Town Of Morchard A Capsule Containing
Historical Documents And Articles Were Placed
Under This Boiler On 21st. Aug. 1977.
It Is Suggested That It Be Inspected In The
Year 2000, Added To And Reburied For Another Term.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design