www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Jubilee 150 RotundaPrint Page Print this page

30-March-2021
30-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The rotunda commemorates the 150th anniversary of the European settlement of South Australia from 1836 to 1986.

The British Province of South Australia was established by the South Australia Act 1834 in August 1834, and the South Australian Company formed on 9 October 1835 to fulfil the purposes of the Act by forming a new colony financed by land sales. The first settlers arrived on Kangaroo Island in July 1836, with all of the ships later sailing north soon afterwards to anchor in Holdfast Bay on the advice of Surveyor-General, Colonel William Light. The Proclamation of the new Province by Governor Hindmarsh at Glenelg took place on 28 December 1836.

Location

Address:Gerturde Street, Keith Michell Theatre, Port Pirie, 5155
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.179411
Long: 138.005943
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1836
Approx. Event End Date:1986

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 24th September, 1986
Front Inscription

"Jubilee 150 Rotunda"
This Stone Was Unveiled By 
W. G. JONES A. M.  J. P.
Mayor City Of Pt. Pirie
24th September 1986.

Left Side Inscription

This Jubilee 150 Rotunda 
was established to commemorate 
the State`s 150th birthday.

It was built by the Council workforce 
and local Port Pirie contractors.
The two Nineteenth Century foundation stones 
are from the Town Hall which was constructed 
in two stages and was located at 99 Ellen Street.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design