www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of South AustraliaPrint Page Print this page

17-March-2021
17-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The drinking fountain commemorates the centenary of European settlement of South Australia from 1836 to 1936. 

The British Province of South Australia was established by the South Australia Act 1834 in August 1834, and the South Australian Company formed on 9 October 1835 to fulfil the purposes of the Act by forming a new colony financed by land sales. The first settlers arrived on Kangaroo Island in July 1836, with all of the ships later sailing north soon afterwards to anchor in Holdfast Bay on the advice of Surveyor-General, Colonel William Light. 

New Playground At Alberton.  Discouraged by the repeated depridations of larrikins who have wrecked the equipment in children's playgrounds in the Port Adelaide district, the Centre Ward Children's Playground Committee, which has been granted part of St. Patrick's Reserve. Alberton, for use as a children's playground, has decided merely to fence the area and to a provide a drinking fountain. It is thought that if swings, seesaws and iother equipment were installed, vandals would destroy them in the same way as they spoiled about £300 worth of property in the Rosewater and Birkenhead Reserves. The fence which now surrounds the whole of St. Patrick's Reserve will be removed and part of it will be used to fence the playground. It is intended to give the children a safe enclosure with a drinking fountain. The remainder of the the reserve will be left open. 
Advertiser (Adelaide), 3 November 1936.


Note: The fountain does not appear to be functioning. 

 

Location

Address:Queen Street & Melbourne Place, Alberton, 5014
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.857546
Long: 138.514616
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1836
Approx. Event End Date:1936

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1936
Front Inscription

           ERECTED BY
CENTRAL WARD PLAYGROUND
          COMMITTEE 
AS A CENTENARY EFFORT
Ald. C. H. Dicker, J. P. Chairman.
Mr. H. Nolan, Hon. Secretary.
              1936.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design