www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lobethal Centennial HallPrint Page Print this page

16-March-2021
16-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Lobethal Centennial Hall commemorates the centenary of European settlement of South Australia from 1836 to 1936. 

The Lobethal Centennial Hall foundation stone was laid on 8 August in 1936 on the centenary of the proclamation of the state of South Australia. About 600 people were present to witness the beginning of a new hall to replace the old Institute. Mr C Meyer, one of the district's oldest and highly respected citizens laid the stone. Mr Meyer had been a member of the Institute Committee since 1894. He was one of the first trustees and a life member. Local people bought seats for £1 each, to help furnish the hall built in the Art Deco style. Their names are still on the back of the seats. The architect was Chris Smith of Adelaide. The Contractors were Messrs Newman & O'Malley of Lobethal and the estimated cost of construction was £3,165.

The British Province of South Australia was established by the South Australia Act 1834 in August 1834, and the South Australian Company formed on 9 October 1835 to fulfil the purposes of the Act by forming a new colony financed by land sales. The first settlers arrived on Kangaroo Island in July 1836, with all of the ships later sailing north soon afterwards to anchor in Holdfast Bay on the advice of Surveyor-General, Colonel William Light. 

Location

Address:Main Street & Bartholomew Avenue, Lobethal Centennial Hall , Lobethal , 5241
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.905263
Long: 138.874502
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Hall
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1836
Approx. Event End Date:1936
Designer:Chris Smith (Adelaide, SA)
Monument Manufacturer:Newman & O'Malley (Lobethal, SA)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 8th August, 1936
Front Inscription

LOBETHAL CENTENNIAL HALL

Plaque :

This Stone Was Laid
       By 
 Mr C. Meyer
Aug. 8th 1936.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design