www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of WokurnaPrint Page Print this page

16-March-2021
16-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of Wokurna from 1888 to 1988. A time capsule was placed beneath the stone to be opened in 2008. 

The hamlet of Wokurna lies near the south-eastern border of the hundred and locality bounds cover more than a quarter of the hundred. A large portion of Port Broughton occupies the hundred as well as small portions of Ward Hill and Mundoora.

The District Council of Broughton was established in 1888 by promulgation of the District Councils Act 1887, bringing the hundred under local administration for the first time. The council area included the Hundred of Wokurna as well as three adjacent hundreds. In 1892 the Hundred of Workurna and part of the Hundred of Mundoora seceded from Broughton council to form the District Council of Mundoora, later called Port Broughton, reflecting the council seat location in that town. In 1997 Port Broughton council was amalgamated with the District Council of Bute bringing the hundred under the governance of the new District Council of Barunga West.

Location

Address:Aeroplane Road, Wokurna, 5520
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.708613
Long: 138.044641
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1888
Approx. Event End Date:1988

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th July, 1988
Front Inscription

Australia 
1788-1988


Wokurna Centenary 
1888 - 1988

Commemorated in the year of the
Australian Bicentenary.
Time capsule beneath this stone
to be opened 2008.
Unveiled by Mr. E. J. Ebsary
24th July, 1988.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design